The submission process is carried out by the candidate following three steps:
Step 1: Send a filming request to AcademyOn by submitting the "Request Form”.
Step 2: Send the "Filming permission and Copyright” document full filled and signed by the candidate.
Step 3: Send the Slideshow file (.ppt or .key) and the "Submission Form" Word template full filled by the candidate before submetting online.
Video Producer: select the type of the video production.
The student: full and abbreviated name, affiliation, email, academic degree, academic title and function.
Supervisor and Co-supervisor: full name and affiliation. Enter the full name and affiliation of the co-supervisor, if applicable.
President of the jury: full name and affiliation.
Jury members: please indicate how many members of the jury, without including the president of the jury and the supervisor(s), and enter the full name and the affiliation of each member.
Defense degree: select the academic degree defended.
Course/program and specialty: enter the course or program and specialty of the dissertation defended.
Institution: the name of the graduate school of the degree defended.
City/Country: enter the city and the country where the defense took place.
Location: enter the venue where the defense took place (Institution, department, room, city and country).
Date and time of the Defense: enter the defense schedule.
Spoken language: English, French, Portuguese, or Spanish. If the spoken language is not English, the content should be completed both in English and in the original language of the oral presentation.
Title: maximum 150 characters including spaces. The title should be a specific and concise description of the study presented. Please avoid the use of abbreviations.
Running title: maximum 70 characters including spaces. The running title is the abbreviated title that allows visitors to know what the subject of the thesis dissertation is just by looking at the top-right of the video-article.
Synopsis: maximum 400 characters including spaces. The Synopsis is a general description that focuses on the study presented and the defense context.
Abstract: maximum 2000 characters including spaces. Make sure that it's the original abstract of the dissertation submitted and approved by the committee.
Keywords: 5-8 words that highlight the most important aspects of the dissertation.
Acknowledgments: list acknowledgments and all funding sources for the work presented in the dissertation. Individuals or institutions that helped to achieve this work can also be mentioned.
Disclosures: in order to embed potential conflict of interest disclosure in the work presented.
References: 5 to 10 most relevant references listed according the APA style.
Research area of the dissertation: the research area covered by the dissertation.
Scientific domain: select the scientific domain, area and subarea of the dissertation.
AcademyOn publishes videos of dissertation defenses produced by AcademyOn (A) or by the graduate schools themselves (B). Individual video productions are not accepted.
A- AcademyOn-produced video
B- School-produced video
When videos are produced by the the graduate schools themselves, the video file intended to be published must be edited according to the AcademyOn's audiovisual quality criteria:
Video length: between 15 and 30 minutes
Resolution: 1280x720, minimum, exported in 16:9 format.
File size: no larger than 600MB.
File formats: mov, mp4, avi, wmv.
Publishing file version using 3:4 slide format.
Publishing file version using 16:9 slide format.
- It must show only the defense presentation, without the discussion or any additional section.
- The resolution should be at least 1280x720 at 16:9 dimension, and can be larger but not smaller.
- Video file formats mov, mp4 and avi are accepted.
- It must be free of digital artefacts or glitches, also free of distracting or erratic camera movement. A tripod should be used for filming.
- The video composition must contain the background image, the speaker frame and the slide frame, fully synchronized with the audio track of the speaker.
- Video must completely fill the frame. No black borders should be visible.
- Cannot be less than 15 minutes or exceeding 30 minutes in total length (Leave at least three seconds of silence at the beginning and the end of the video).
- The filename should contain the SIN number, and should be named “video # SIN".
- No voice should be more audible and understandable other than the speaker voice.
- Background noise must be kept to a minimum and should not affect understanding of the speaker.
- Quality and volume levels of the speaker voice should remain relatively consistent.
- Voice should be free of distortions.
- No music should be added.
c- Text, Images and graphics
- Text, tables, images or graphics shown in the slide frame should be legible and clear enough for audience to visualize the content.
- The student must certify that text, tables, images and graphics shown in the slide frame are legally used.
- The video should begin with the title slide and close with the credit slide.
- Subtitles can be added; however, adding subtitles will not exempt audio from meeting our audio quality standards.
NOTE: AcademyOn should not have to add the audio track or your slides to your videos. To request AcademyOn's editing services please contact us.
AcademyOn reserves the right to reject outright any video it feels would be unsuitable for the content of AcademyOn. Reasons for this may include, but are not limited to:
- The video is significantly of poor audio and/or video quality.
- The video contains less than 10 minutes or more than 40 minutes length.
- The presentation file contains less than 10 slides.
- Poor quality of the slides.
- The speaker talk and the presentation content are not consistent.
- The student has not been able to certify that text, tables, images and graphics shown in the presentation slides are legally used.
- The video content did not fit within the editorial policies of the journal.
- Place your camera still with tripod to film a medium close up shot of the speaker.
- You can also use a second camera for a wide shot showing the slide show screen and the speaker. This would be very useful when editing your video.
- Record the speaker voice using an omnidirectional Lavalier microphone plugged on the camera or on a separate audio recorder device (don’t use the audio recorded by the microphone built into cameras or computer).
- After generating your video file, remember to watch before submitting.
- Video file: should be named "video # SIN"
- Slideshow file (.ppt or .key): should contain no less than 15 slides, and should be named “presentation # SIN".
- Filming permission and Copyright (.pdf): to be full filled and signed by the author.
- Submission Form Word document (.doc): to be full filled by the author before submitting online.
NOTE: a) is only applicable to school-produced video type.
Still have questions about publishing your defense? Please contact us.